We are finally ready to reveal our HCG results. As some people may have guessed, the HCG blood tests showed the FET did work. I was pregnant, and anxiously awaiting my 6 week ultrasound that would show how many babies we were expecting.
During the ultrasound we got some bad news. Dr. Amols couldn’t find a gestational sac or any embryos anywhere. He expressed his concerns over an ectopic pregnancy or early miscarriage and wanted to run my HCG again and then see me in 2 days for another ultrasound and HCG test. Needless to say it wasn’t the best Valentines Day gift. Thursday comes and the ultrasound showed 2 gestational sacs in the right fallopian tube. To say we were devestated was an understatement. Dr. Amols said that not only was there a less than 1% chance of an ectopic with the FET, but he had actually never even heard of a twin ectopic. I was scheduled to go in the next day for a shot that would end the pregnancy and allow me to miscarry so the tube didn’t rupture. Dr. Amols stressed that if I were to feel severe pain at all to get to the emergency room as there would be a greater risk of tubal rupture with 2 growing in it. Things never get to go as planned. On Thursday night as I was getting ready for bed I had sudden, horrible, stabbing pain in my lower abdomen that had me bent over and in tears. I called my dear friend K to come and get me and take me to the ER. Matthew met us there and after tests and an ultrasound the doctors decided my tube had not burst, but agreed that it should be removed all the same. The surgery was done on Friday at around 10am by the hospital’s resident obstetrics surgeon. During the surgery he found tha not only had the tube ruptured, but that it was still bleeding. The rupture occurred between the two embryos which acted as tourniquets and prevented me from bleeding to death. Needless to say I plan on never returning to a hospital that could have killed me because of their negligence. I spoke with Dr. Amols after the surgery and after reassuring him I was ok he said we would have to wait until my HCG levels were at 0 again, which can take up to 6 weeks. I’m out of the game for a little while then, but we still have our last 2 snowflakes so we are not out completely.
We want to thank everyone for their support and prayers and ask for more prayers for my quick healing and that when we can do another transfer we are in a place emotionally where we can do so. We know God has a plan for us, even though we may not understand it and question Him. And knowing He has a plan for us makes me confident about going forward and trusting Him, though sometimes a text message would be nice, too 😉
Post has been edited to correct what I had been told by the attending doctor in the ER. I was initially told my tube had not ruptured and that I was overreacting. In fact it had ruptured and they were down playing the amount of pain I was in and not looking for the correct symptoms.